We've heard of people losing their money. What would we do if this happened to us?

Report the loss to a recognised authority (i.e. holiday rep, hotel management) who will be able to locate the police. The incident must be reported to the police within 24 hours of the loss or theft occurring, and a written report must be obtained from them.